Friday, September 19, 2008

An Autumn Fondue

Disclaimers:

1. I have not made this recipe yet. But I want to. However, I am at the moment a woman in flux and therefore cannot settle down for a moment in front of the ol' fondue pot and indulge.

2. I am not in the standard waxy, holy, "Swiss Cheese" fan club. I work with Gruyere and I don't mind it, same goes for Emmenthaler, etc. They do a nice job here and there but I admit they are not on my go-to list. I know this is a failing of mine, not of Swiss cheese makers. One day, when there is more time, I will rise early, go to Murray's Cheese Shop and sample until I understand completely and in turn apply this knowledge to fondue with abandon.

3. Considering point 2, I like a cheddar fondue. Sharp and a little salty, and some cases, like this one, a little sweet too. That's not just what I eat, it's also kind of who I am.

4. I do not care for liquor in food, or food in my liquor. That is also who I am. The addition of applejack in the recipe below is up to you, but I suspect you will be fine without it. I omit booze from everything and have never been sorry. Wine however is a different story, and I only suspect that a dry white wine in this recipe might help to tone the sweetness here.

5. I have not corrected or altered the method below in anyway, though I might in the future.

Now it's all out in the open so it will be no mystery why this recipe I found the other day while flipping through old cookbooks of my Moms sounded both tasty and perfect for a fondue brunch on a nippy fall Sunday. Also, that explains any issues you may find with it until I can kick the tires myself. Happy fall.

Cider Fondue
Makes 12 - 16 servings
From The Gourmet Fondue Cookbook, by Carmel Reingold, 1970

The author advises this recipe is, "absolutely divine with with hot cider or room temperature wine. It is a bit too sweet for cocktails to highballs."

1 1/2 pounds shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups dry cider, divided
1 teaspoons dry mustard
3 tablespoons applejack
Salt and pepper to taste
For serving: 8 crisp eating apples, cored and cut into 1" cubes

"Dredge the cheese with flour. Blend 1/2 cup cider with mustard and heat in Fondue pan with the remaining cider until bubbling, stirring continuously. Add the cheese by handfuls. Cook until melted. Season to taste. Serve hot. Dip apple pieces into mixture."

No comments: