Monday, March 24, 2008

The Hurricane

I am not sure how the Hurricane, that deep red elixir of Mardi Gras, became incorporated into our Easter celebration. I can say for certain however, that it has gone beyond the glass. Yesterday, during dinner preparations, I found a pitcher by the stove. Then I noticed the ham had been cooked en Hurricane. I cannot explain this except to say that in a moment of creativity
the glass, or several, must have hopped into the roasting pan. Or, maybe the ham was christened with a Hurricane or two. But it any event it was wonderful, the way ham with Co-Cola Gravy can be when they do it just right way on down South.

I am passing on the recipe to you and I have thought of several other times when having a Hurricane in one hand might just be the best thing:
1. When making bacon.
2. When polishing the silver.
3. When vacuuming.
4. When awake.

My, they are lovely if a bit late for Mardi Gras this time around.

The Pat O'Brien's Hurricane (aka Ham Roasting Serum)
New Orleans, LA

2 oz light rum
2 oz dark rum
2 oz passion fruit juice
1 oz orange juice
1/2 oz fresh lime juice
1 tbsp simple syrup
1 tbsp grenadine
Garnish: orange slice and cherry

Shake all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and strain into a hurricane glass. Garnish with a cherry and an orange slice.

No comments: