Friday, November 7, 2008

So rich and satisfying

Brussels sprouts. Maybe you are already groaning. I was in that club until recently. It is not that I hate Brussels sprouts. I am a practical girl who has learned a lot from our animal company on the planet: It never pays to hate any food, because you never know when you will really need a meal. If the fates align to truly teach one a lesson in never becoming too particular, look out, because whatever you hate will be the last food remaining in nuclear winter. Besides vegetables of all manner are a necessity to good long lives.

I had Edna Lewis' help in developing a cooking means for making every vegetable delicious which I discovered in making her spring onions and applied to all things not tied down since. Now, there is not a vegetable I cook that I am not thrilled to eat if I am using her method. Not only that, I reheat the leftovers and snack on them, they are that good. It might sound suspicious, but all the greatest inventions once did. Go ahead out and crank up that car of yours and bring home stacks of veggies to braise. What a new and wonderful veggie-loving world it will be.

Braised Brussels Sprouts, Loosely
Serves 4


1 pound Brussels sprouts, trilled of outter leaves and tough stem bottom removed
Good water to cover, I use bottled
1/4 cup butter
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon thyme
Kosher salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in a medium-heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Allow to simmer until just about all the the liquid has evaporated and only enough remains to be a sauce. Transfer to a warm bowl, serve. Reheats beautifully in a gentle oven of 200 degrees for 12 minutes or so.


1 comment:

Visual Vamp said...

I love Brussel Sprouts and Edna Lewis!!!
What a perfect post!
xo xo