Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I'm not a Make-Ahead Ninja

But you already knew that.

My Husband has called from very far away places on this planet while floating around in his big grey tuna can and asked me why I have to go to the grocery nearly every day. It's French, I say. And he will sigh. In truth, it has to do, with either my fierce determination that all our food be fresh or my insatiable food reading habit. Maybe I also cannot stand a $400 tab but, in the end, he is right, we will spend it so we might as well get on with it. But I come from frugal stock, even if we are only kidding ourselves (which is a completely free preoccupation, I might add). So understanding that I am totally incapable of providing certain types of info to you, I have to hand you off to other bloggers who can comment on things like group monthly cooking experiments, for example.

I read this post at Like Merchant Ships like a stranger in a new world. It might be interesting to you too. And also my Husband, who will surely tell me his Mom was absolutely a ninja at make ahead food, which is okay by me because I write blogs and consider myself a blog ninja. Enjoy.

2 comments:

The Countess of Nassau County said...

Spot on. The Hostess clearly has her funny hat on today.

Recently I've seen about a half dozen posts on other blogs that have elevated menu planning to a level of detail that would make one think getting a meal on the table requires a level of complexity on par with a space shuttle launch. Monthly menu plan, can't really wrap my brain around that one.

About all I really make ahead is sauce and a giant vat of brown rice. The freezer is strictly for ice cubes, ice cream, and vodka.

Will Boehlke said...

Food shopping should definitely be done daily but you might consider making a quart of veal stock and freezing it in ice cube trays.

Saute a chicken breast and deglaze the pan with the stock. Life as it should be.